Importance of Physical Therapy After an Injury Q&A
Physical therapy plays a crucial role in the recovery process after an injury for several important reasons such as pain management, restoration of function, injury prevention, enhanced healing, improvement in range of motion, and muscle strengthening. If you have experienced a severe injury, then contact Progressive Physical Therapy for treatment you can trust. For more information, contact us today or book an online appointment at your earliest convenience – we would love to help you through your recovery. We are conveniently located at 15 Spinning Wheel Road Ste. 24 Hinsdale, IL 60521.
Table of Contents:
When do you need physical therapy after injury?
What is the value of physical therapy after an injury?
What happens if you don’t do physical therapy after injury?
What are the four benefits of physical therapy after injury?
Everyone has sustained an injury. Fortunately, most of these injuries are minor and do not come with long recovery times or complications. However, many of us have experienced an injury that severely limited our mobility or range of motion. Unfortunately, most of these occurrences are not treated with physical therapy, which runs the risk of permanent complications as well as longer recovery times. Physical therapy following an injury can reduce these risks, or even eliminate them altogether, and speed up the healing process.
When exactly physical therapy is needed after an injury depends on the type of injury and the severity of the trauma. In most cases, an injury requires 48 to 72 hours of rest followed by several weeks or months of regular physical therapy.
With any injury, it is best to start sooner rather than later, as any delays in therapy can result in long-term damage. It is important to find a physical therapist who can evaluate any injuries and provide a personalized treatment plan to restore mobility and strength. As injuries vary, it is a good idea to seek professional advisement prior to starting any treatment plan. A physical therapist should immediately be consulted following an injury to maximize healing and to receive expert advice on recovery.
After an injury, physical therapy is invaluable. Physical therapy is valuable because it allows patients to:
• Receive Professional Advice — Just as injuries vary, so do the treatment plans. No matter how minor it may seem, it is crucial to seek out professional help when recovering from an injury. If it is causing pain or interfering with day-to-day life, professional advisement is strongly recommended.
• Avoid Chronic Issues — When an injury occurs, there is an increased level of blood flow to the affected area that promotes healing of the injured area. However, this swelling also causes pain, stiffness, limited mobility, and decreased muscle activation. With immediate and proper care from an experienced physical therapist, this initial swelling can be brought down and treated. If left untreated, inflammation runs the risk of increasing, which will cause further pain, limited motion, and decreased muscle function.
• Avoid Secondary Injuries — While a physical therapist may prescribe a certain window of rest, this will be followed by a plan to bring back form, function, and mobility to the area. If the injury is simply rested without actively and safely building back strength, other muscle groups will start to compensate for the injured area (known as the compensation mechanism), which could lead to further injury.
• Save Time — The longer that physical therapy is delayed, the longer it will take for an injury to fully recover. When treating an injury in the early stages, the body can revert to its previous state of function. However, the longer one waits to seek professional help, the higher the risk of re-injury to the area as well as secondary injuries elsewhere in the body.
• Save Money — Ignoring an injury could lead to more expensive and invasive treatments down the road. By seeking immediate treatment, therapies such as muscle-building exercises can be performed to prevent the need for costly treatments and surgeries.
If physical therapy is not elected after an injury, it can result in:
• Partial/incomplete healing
• Uncontrolled pain
• Limited flexibility/mobility
• Longer recovery time
While there are many benefits of physical therapy, the four biggest benefits include:
• Fully recovering from an injury
• Find relief from chronic pain
• Improve mobility, function, and balance
• Prevent future pain and injury
Progressive Physical Therapy is staffed with experienced physical therapists who can help you on the road to recovery. Contact us today for more information about our physiotherapy services or book with us online if you’re ready to see a specialist. We are conveniently located at 15 Spinning Wheel Road Ste. 24 Hinsdale, IL 60521. We serve patients from Chicago IL, Oak Park IL, Lombard IL, Downers Grove IL, Bridgeview IL, and Oak Lawn IL.